Sunday, November 16, 2008

And so it begins..........


This is all so surreal to me.


I just wonder if we had photographs of what was actually happening in the scriptures, would it look like this?


Did it feel like this?


Was the hate this strong?


On Saturday, I had to walk with Hannah through this protest to take her to a birthday party in downtown Santa Rosa. The hate that filled the air was indescribable. We walked past signs that read, "Utah, keep out of my family" and "Latter Day Liers" and my personal favorite, "No more Mr. Gay Guy!" I kept thinking, "What if I told someone here that I was Mormon." I honestly think I wouldn't be safe. It was the weirdest feeling. And yet, at the same time I felt total peace. I came home and researched the words of our prophet and apostles on this subject and found this quote by one of my favorite apostles Boyd. K. Packer from a General Conference talk given in 2005, it read:

We live in a day when the age-old standards of morality, marriage, home, and family suffer defeat after defeat in courts and councils, in parliaments and classrooms. Our happiness depends upon living those very standards.

The Apostle Paul prophesied that in our day, these last days, men would be “disobedient to parents, … without natural affection, … despisers of those that are good, … lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God” (2 Tim. 3:2–4).

And he warned: “Evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived” (2 Tim. 3:13). He was right. Nevertheless, when I think of the future, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of positive optimism.

President Hinckley in a Conference talk given in 2001 said:

Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes. We can be an influence for good in this world, every one of us.

Reassuring words like these from our leaders about these times are endless.

Sigh......... I feel so much better.......

9 comments:

Brooke said...

i can't wait till you move here.

and i'm with you-- you've just gotta hope and be optimistic. we're so lucky the gospel always brings peace.

xo

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

Amen to that Sara- thanks for the positive note! Like you read in my blog, it's crazy out here! A counselor in my branch presidency had to wear a pistol to church- last week becuz of the protests going on... (he's a sheriff) It's scary, but yet, at the same time if you know that you're on the right path- you know you will be alright!

Annee said...

Thanks Sara, that was a great post.

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

Sara- That is just what I needed! Being in the teater I deal with this everyday with the abundance of gay men, even at BYU. It is discouraging, but there is peace to be found! Thank you for being a great example of a mother. We love you and miss you! Cannot wait to have you here:)

Christy said...

Those are crazy pictures. It is true that things are getting crazy and I think this is only the beginning. Good post. Thanks.

Hermana Norma said...

Wow!!! You captured the realism that I could only imagine . . .How grateful I am to have family with strength and conviction to want to do right! May God bless us all in our efforts to live as He would have us and know that He will bless and protect us and our loved ones as He sees fit. Love norma

Hermana Cheryl y Presidente Evrett Benton said...

This is what we faced years ago when we promoted the ¨Proclamation on the Family¨ at the UN, with United Families International! We were told then by our ¨experts¨ that this would someday happen in the United States and the protests would be against members of the Church who believed in The Proclamation on the Family, but I still don´t believe it´s really happening now.

Seriously, the Church is received here in Argentina with much more kindness, respect, and receptiveness than the attitudes its´s facing in the United States! It all creates great wonder in my mind and heart about what is happening in the world right now.

I´m thankful to have courageous children like you who are willing to stand for the right amidst the onslaught.

Love you all forever!

Mom

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Crazy that you actually saw this stuff in person. Great post. What a great time to be a member of the church. So much peace comes from the words of the prophets.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunate, completely unfortunate those things happen on the streets. Here in Virginia we never see things like that, but then again, nothing ever happens here!

It should never be illegal or forbidden to love someone, love is what keeps us alive. I live in complete satisfaction with my partner and we would never wish harm on someone else for their beliefs; as long as you have faith in something, your good as gold in my book!

When it all boils down, we are all family, and we are ALL the chosen ones, for we are capable of loving, laughing, and living. The wicked ones in the street are lost and they will be found by someone someday; who, how, and when is left up to the ultimate judge.

-Stew
Richmond VA