Monday, September 24, 2007

The Outing

Hannah's school recently had a family skate night at a local roller rink. I thought it would be a fun family outing.

I was a little wrong in my assumptions.



It went really well, up until the kids actually had to skate. Basically Will and Benny both freaked out. Benny was able to make it to the wall, but Will refused to try and skate by flailing his arms around, kicking and screaming! While Ray was trying to get Will off of the roller rink, Will tripped him. Ray is pumping his skates under him as hard as he can, trying not to fall for literally 30 seconds. But alas, Will tripped him again and they both toppled over. It seems like everyone is staring at us saying, "Why are you here with all of those kids?"

When Ray got up, I knew I was toast.

And for the record Ray, you were totally right!

6 comments:

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

that's amazing you guys took all of them skating! Ava still trips when she walks on flat ground. that's amazing!

Ray said...

Sara is being nice - I thought it would be fun, too.... The bust was hilarious (now) - we were right in front of all these moms who witnessed Will's crazy screaming which culminated in a Wile E. Coyote faceplant. When I looked up I could tell some of them were waiting to see if I would lose it..... Under different circumstances I may have, but I didn't have any pride left after being roller-schooled by a bunch of first graders.

Brooke said...

i LOVE ray. he's awesome. and me being there to witness the fall would've been awesomer.

Ray said...

I forgot to mention that some of those kids STUNK.... never in all my years of basketball have I encountered B.O. like that. When I was skating around the rink I'd keep hitting little pockets of stank... and when I took off my skates, I sat down next to a little 2nd-grade girl who had odor like a 300 lb lineman.....

Brooke - you should have been there... course those green apple pits would have been a little out of place....

Annee said...

Oh Sara, it seems like I am always over estimating our abilities to hang with the normal crowd. I would have thought we could have gone too. And been very wrong later!

Rich said...

hahaha - We have tried to take our kids to Jellybeans several times. for outings, and it's always a headache.

Aydan only recently got brave enough to try it on her own, but out of stubbornness refuses any effort of help.

Regan hates it with a passion and we have to force her to go around at all. Of course, this all changes when we are playing outside at home and she wants to strap on the plastic princess skates that fit over your shoes. I mean, what could be safer? Slick skates, rough pavement, and an overconfident and frustrated 3 year old? Maybe they might appreciate joining skate school or something....nevermind their schedules are too busy already.