Saturday, March 24, 2007

How You Teach a Kid to Swing




If any of you have been with Benny at the park, you know that this kid loves to swing. The only problem is that he couldn't swing by himself. Which always meant two minutes after arriving at the park I would hear, "Mom, can you push me?" Which I would proceed to do for the next hour if Benny had his way. Well today he learned how to swing! Now, I would like to say that I taught him how by standing next to him and gently coached him how to pump his legs back and forth, smiling the whole time and Benny saying, "mommy your the best"... Well, it didn't quite happen that way.

Benny learned how to swing because I got a call on the cell phone and so he sat there waiting for me and kind of kicking around. Soon he started to get the hang of it and that was that. He stayed on that swing for an hour and a half!



That day at the park I was the totally out of it mom. While I was staring off at some trees, Will went running in front of the swings and was about to get hit in the head by Benny. Before I could get to him, another mom jumped in the way, pushing Will off to the side, and then she totally fell on the ground. If only she knew Will. Then she would know that being hit in the head is an everyday occurrence for him. There was no need for the acrobatics.......


7 comments:

Brooke said...

lol! that is so funny! i have this picture in my head of some random mom diving in front of will! hahaha!!!

i'm always the out of it mom too!

it looks gorgeous there as usual!

sara b said...

That is exactly what happened. It was some random mom trying to save the day. Will kind of looked at her like, "who are you?" It was pretty funny.

And yes, the weather here has been awesome. Maybe not as nice as the Dominican Republic, but pretty nice!

emily t said...

Your family is so funny. You are making me start to wonder why my life is so boring... oh yah it's because I am 8 months pregnant and sit on the couch a lot. I guess my kids just need more stimulation.

emily t said...

So I will be dropping them off at your house for more fun ok?

Annee said...

I just can't believe that Benny actually stayed on the swing for so long. I mean, is there any other occasion when he just sits there for so long? Swings are great. But do you know that sometimes I pick which park we are going to go to depending on if there are swings or not. Somedays when I just need to sit on a park bench, I avoid all parks with swings. It's inevitable that if there are swings, you will end up standing there pushing forever. And why does it get so annoying is the thing that I end up asking myself frequently. Why should I hate pushing kids on the swing forever, but I do. Sometimes.

sara b said...

My philosophy is when you're pregnant, you are even being productive while you are sleeping. If anybody asks what you did all day, you can always say, "I was making another human being, what did you do?"

And Annee, I can totally relate to strategically planning which park to go to. I have passed up many of parks because of their inviting swing selection.

Cheryl Benton said...

I knew my grandkids were "swingers" all along!