Friday, November 2, 2007

My Puerto Rican Grandma

The other night I had just gotten home and needed to grab something really quick from our house to take to someone. When I went back outside there was a black cat sitting on the hood of our car so I went back inside. I plopped on the couch next to Ray. Here is our conversation:

Ray: What happened? Didn't you need to go somewhere?

Me: Ya, but when I got out to the car, there was a black cat on the hood. Isn't that a bad omen on the eve of Halloween? I don't think I should go out tonight.

Ray: Who are you??

Since then I have been laughing at myself and thinking about where do my superstitions come from? I didn't have to think to long about that. You see, I am a quarter Puerto Rican. Which my brother Brad would say we are quartaricans.

We grew up living only a few blocks from my Grandma. And I guess her superstitions found their way into the back of my head.

For example:

- whenever my kids are opening umbrellas in the house I cringe and tell them they need to stop.

-I make sure to side step any ladders in my path

-And whenever I get my hair cut at a salon, I am too chicken to ask for my hair that has been cut so that I can dispose of it properly like my Grandma always taught me. Why you might ask? So they don't make a voodoo doll with it of course!

11 comments:

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

Don't worry Sara, you are not too weird. My parents still EXPECT me to wear this jewelry that resembles an eye to keep "the bad eye" away from me.

Michelle said...

LOL! Sara this post is so funny to me. I love how Ray asks "who are you?" I cringe when my kids open umbrellas in the house too. But I've never heard of disposing of your hair properly. Now I'll be thinking of voodoo dolls next time I get my hair cut!!

Annee said...

But I just need to know, did you ever go back out and make the delivery?

sara b said...

Oh Carine, that is so funny!

Michelle, trust me, you are never going to be able to get a haircut again without walking out the door thinking of voodoo dolls.

Annee, I was too freaked out to leave again. I know, so lame....

Ray said...

Sara, you overlooked the hair in the shower.... haven't you been wondering why you've been doing strange things lately?.....

(Actually, this is just a ploy to get Sara to finally get the hair out of the drain... the funny thing is, it is still going to work even after she reads this!!! I love that about her!)

sara b said...

What are you talking about??? I have been faithfully dehairing the shower drain every morning since we moved. And I don't just find my hair in there buddy! you want to own up to what you have been doing to your chest???

Ray said...

Ok, fine, I'll tell.... the second to last day of the cruise I was shaving in front of the mirror before dinner, and wondered what I would look like without any chest hair.... it must have been the ocean motion or something, but 30 seconds later the deed was done. All I can say is - I'm never going back, baby! Yeah!

And Sara, another bonus is that you don't have to feel awkward anymore - now we both shave our chests

Christy said...

How about when you had to set your alarm so it always equaled 8 (like 7:01)? That is so funny. BTW, you look so skinny in the cruise pictures. Did you do a cruise diet or something?

sara b said...

Your too nice Christy, it is called strategically placing kids in front of you!

And the whole alarm clock thing, I don't do that anymore, but I think about it everytime I set my alarm...

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I had no idea!!! Do you have any superstitions about walking around with wet hair? That is one I am familiar with from the Caribbean.

Brooke said...

so funny. i also think it's called "being paranoid." i am not quartarican but i wouldn't have gone either.

and i love your grandma-- shower cap on the head the first time i met her sealed the deal.

sweet post, sara. and i love your new blog look!