Friday, April 16, 2010

Our Gingerbread Temple

Every year on Christmas Eve we make a gingerbread house from a kit. This year while we were hanging out at Costco (one of our family's favorite past times) we saw this ENORMOUS gingerbread house that you could buy at the typical Costco price of about $100. I said to my family, "I bet we could make that ourselves at home". This then started the talk of all the different cool gingerbread houses we could make. Which then lead us to the idea of building a gingerbread temple.


As soon as that was said, I could see Ray's eyes light up with ideas.


Once we got home plans were drawn (Ray's plans are in the middle, Benny's are in red, and Hannah's is on the left),



and the model was built.


Avril was hopped up on sugar before we even started!


We found a great recipe online for gingerbread dough, then cut it out according to Ray's model.

Then we got to the fun part of decorating!


We all had our own areas to decorate.

Benny and Hannah's side




Hannah's goldfish pond



Benny's Missionaries

Aww, Ray made a gingerbread family in a garden. haha

The front was mainly decorated by Ray and I with Will and Avril squirting/eating the icing

Ok, so we we took more pictures of this thing than some of our children at birth!





Our gingerbread temple just before we ate it!

10 comments:

Beach Hendersons said...

This is pretty awesome. I love how detail oriented you guys were with the plans. L1. R1..Awesome.

Oh it was great talking to you Lovey!

Rich said...

totally impressed!! You guys rock. I think we might have to do something similar this Christmas.

Brooke said...

it makes sense that you took so many pictures-- that seems a lot harder and longer than one of your births! (lucky girl.)

Christy said...

First off you guys are the coolest parents. That looks so fun! Also, Avril is so cute and so much older. I guess I haven't seen a picture of her in awhile. I love her curls! And what have you been doing, Sara? You are so skinny! You look like a hot mamma in that family picture. Miss you!

Emily said...

That's awesome... you guys are such fun parents!

sara b said...

Thanks for the comments! Karla it was great to chat with you the other day.

Rich, thanks for always commenting! it really makes my day!

Brooke, you are too funny! haha

Christy, I wish I were skinny! You are too nice. I need to call you already!

Emily, we miss you around here! We had another Personal Progress Party last night. We thought of you!

Maureen said...

That is an amazing gingerbread temple! BUT...you need to explain why you and Ray were dressed like Little House on the Prairie!

Maureen said...

That is an amazing gingerbread temple! BUT...you need to explain why you and Ray were dressed like Little House on the Prairie!

sara b said...

haha! It was a special date Ray planned for me! j/k

I will explain this week.

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

This is so awesome!!! You guys should submit your entry to Ensign or Liahona or something, sure you will take first place! I love Ray's engineering plans and labeling. What a fun idea!!! (did you really roll all that gingerbread dough by yourself???!! that's awesome!)