Monday, September 15, 2008

EXCELSIOR!!!!

To my wonderful father on his 60th Birthday:

My dad lives his life by various sayings, quotes, motto's, etc. The Benton family motto is EXCELSIOR. It means always climbing ever higher. As a kid I remember running out the door, pumping my fist in the air saying, "EXCELSIOR, always climbing ever higher!" I loved it.

Another one of my dad's sayings is, "It's the hard that makes it great!" And my dad truly lives by this saying. He would always buy these complicated kites that took FOREVER to put together. All of the various pieces of the kite would be spread across the beach and don't even get me started on the tails. Yet these are the memories I hold so dear to my heart. Sitting on the beach, talking with my dad, sorting through the different kite pieces, untangling and rolling up 6 kite tails. So dad, you are right, it is the hard that makes it great!

Another saying is, "The Benton's always do their best!" I am sure that is why my parents were called to serve a Mission and sacrifice so much. Because Benton's always do their best!

My dad will always greet you with a big smile along with a "HEY!" and a thumbs up or finger point. In this picture he decided to go with both.

Both of my parents took us to so many wonderful vacations. They are the only reason I can say thatI have been anywhere.

Happy 60th Birthday Dad!

Thank you for all that you have taught me dad. I try to live by it everyday!

I love you!

If you want to wish my dad a Happy 60th just click HERE.

9 comments:

Hermana Cheryl y Presidente Evrett Benton said...

Wow, what a wonderful birthday greeting. Here I am trying to figure out which part of my body is going to fall apart first now that I have hit old age, and to read your kind words was very heartening. You cannot imagine the love that your Mom and I have for all of you. The Gospel work rolls forth! Excelsior! Love, Dad

Rich said...

Evrett, can't say I know you too well, but you have always been a generous and welcoming person.

Happy 60th to you!! Thanks for raising such a great daughter for my twin brother to marry!!!

Hermana Norma said...

Happy 60th Bro; Wow! What happened to those two "half Rican" kids who grew up to be so blessed in tons of unfathomable (is that a word?) ways. From birth to now your presence in my life has provided unnumerable blessings and experiences. . .lets go for eternity!!! I adore you and your beautiful forever companion, Prez Benton, Love Norma

Hermana Cheryl y Presidente Evrett Benton said...

Happy Birthday to My True forever Love!

What a ride it has been for the last 36 1/2 years, being on the "front lines" with you, as we've gone through so many "hard that makes it great" experiences together, from the time we began Law School in Houston, to the other "career moves" where we lived in interesting cities, to the great blessing of being parents to our 4 children, and grandparents to our 7 dear "nietos", to all the other "charge the mountain events" we've faced along the way, which are all akin to the time we decided to hike the 25 miles across the Grand Canyon, in the summer, with our young family.(Remember me reading the "crash course" on desert survival just before we set out on our hike?)
It's been exhilarating to be your wife, especially now, as we participate every day together in our current and ultimate "hard that makes it great experience", that of being "spiritual parents" in a Argentine to about 175 of our Church's finest young people, who are far away from their real parents.

I wonder what's next? Whatever it is, I know we'll be facing it and enjoying it together.

Onward toward eternity my forever love!

Con Mucho Amor,

Hermana Cheryl Benton

Hermana Cheryl y Presidente Evrett Benton said...

Evertt,
Le deseo lo mejor de lo mejor,ahora y siempre.
Lilly Alpert

Christy said...

Happy Birthday, Evrett! I can picture you Dad greeting us with his "HEY!" I miss that. Your parents are the best!

Hermana Cheryl y Presidente Evrett Benton said...

Sorry about the "typo". I was rushing out the door to interview missionaries, with no time to proofread.

I meant to say, "spiritual parents"
in Argentina, but the force of the LOVE sent with the greeting was still huge and eternal!

Hilary J. said...

It's good to see how your family has grown. You have a great family blog. Hilary and I have enjoyed reading through all of the posts, we can certainly relate to some of the creative things that our kids can do. Let's stay in touch...

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

I loved this post, Sara. To EXCELSIOR! Thanks to your dad for letting Randall borrow the word from him.